Saturday 1 December 2012

TheBlindJournalist: Leveson Report

In this blog I am not going to talk about what it says in the report or what the reaction is. I am simply going to give my opinion on proceedings.

My opinion on what Lord Justice Leveson has written in his report about how the press should be run vary. Yes I do agree that there should be a statutory law but dependant on each story, a difficult and possibly impossible task to check every story however if a law is put into place it pressurises true, moral journalists as they wouldn't be able to "freely" produce content. Britain is a free market so therefore it should be a free press which allows journalists who are passionate about their job and journalism in itself to publish content which is necessary. Due to a handful of immoral, heartless and selfish individuals journalism has been degraded in society and true dedicated journalists have been forgotten or brushed to one side. I am extremely passionate about journalism and I do believe that every journalist should be objective and should report "hard stories" as I feel soft stories are not important. On the BBC's Question Time a very important and interesting point was raised that should journalism students of today be taught about ethics and morals of journalism and as a student myself I completely agree that they should. It was utterly wrong what some individuals did to gain stories, I myself don't class them as journalists because they completely went against the morals of journalism however because of them the industry of journalism should not be looked down upon.

No comments:

Post a Comment